This beautiful spring salad is amazing for a weekend breakfast with the family or brunch with friends.
- 2lbs asparagus, woody ends trimmed off, and blanched
- 4 eggs, soft boiled (see below for instructions)
- 1 shallot, sliced as thinly as you can into rings
- 3oz prosciutto, thinly shaved
- Bring a pot of very salty water to a boil to blanch the asparagus. The salted water will make your asparagus bright green when it cooks. Once boiling, place the asparagus into the water for approximately 2-3 minutes, until tender. Timing will depend on the thickness of your asparagus.
- Remove the asparagus from the boiling water and immediately place it into a bowl of ice water to cool it quickly and stop the cooking. Once cooled, drain, and set aside on paper towels to dry off while you finish the remaining steps.
- Add the eggs to the boiling water you removed the asparagus from. Boil them for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes remove the eggs from the boiling water and immediately place them into a bowl of ice water to cool them quickly and stop the cooking. Leave them in the ice water until they're cooled completely.
- While the eggs are cooling, prepare your dressing using the instructions below, and thinly slice your shallot and set them both aside.
- Once the eggs are cooled completely, we're ready to assemble the salad.
- Skip to the bottom section for salad assembly.
- 1/8c tarragon leaves
- 1/4c parmigiana reggiano cheese, make sure to use the expensive stuff here
- 1/4c champagne vinegar (can use white wine vinegar instead)
- 2Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1Tbsp honey
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/2c extra virgin olive oil, use an extra light tasting one so it doesn't overpower the dressing with olive flavor
- Place all dressing ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth and emulsified. Adjust seasoning to your taste if needed.
- Set aside until you're ready to assemble the salad.
Put it together:
- Scatter asparagus on a plate.
- Scatter prosciutto and shallot rings over the top of the asparagus.
- Drizzle dressing over the top of the salad.
- Carefully peel the soft-boiled eggs and cut them in half using a sharp knife. Place the soft-boiled eggs randomly around the plate over the top of the other ingredients.
- Serve cold or room temperature.
- Refrigerate any leftovers (there won't be any because this is so delicious) for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.