Farmers John and Emily Barnes of Bravo Steaks met over cattle and dreamed of someday starting their own farm. They are now first-generation farmers that raise Berkshire pigs as well as black Angus and Angus-cross cattle on fresh pasture in the Carolinas. If you are in the Charlotte and Midlands-SC markets which includes Columbia, South Carolina, and Augusta, Georgia, you can find their products on Market Wagon.
They created a delicious Mexican inspired dish that includes their ground beef, fresh produce from local farms, and a variety of spices. If you aren't in their markets, you can still create the recipe with delicious meat and produce from local farmers in your community!
- Cook onion, jalapeño, and ground beef in a cast iron skillet.
- Once cooked, drain any excess fat.
- Stir tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper into the cooked beef.
- Add black beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While it is simmering, preheat the oven to 400°.
- Meanwhile, make the cornbread topping - combine the Jiffy mix with egg and milk. Normal Jiffy muffin mix calls for just 1/3 cup milk but this recipe uses 1/2 cup so that the batter will be thinner and easier to spread.
- Once the cornbread batter is mixed, the best way to spread it evenly over the beef+beans in the skillet is to dollop spoonfuls of it all around the surface of the beef mixture, then carefully spread to fill in any gaps.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until cornbread topping is fully cooked and cheese is golden. To prevent any mess in the oven, you may need to place a sheet of aluminum foil or a baking pan under the cast iron skillet to catch any juices that bubble up.
- Serve with cilantro, extra jalapenos if you like, and a dollop of sour cream.
Alternative: if you don't have Jiffy mix, you can make your own -- combine 2/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup corn meal, 3 tablespoons white sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons oil. Use this in the above directions when it calls for combining a box of Jiffy mix with egg and milk.