Perfectly Imperfect Produce was created in 2016 by Ashley Weingart in Cleveland, Ohio to help eliminate food waste and provide cost effective options for produce. Big box retailers reject fruits and veggies that are unique in size, shape or color to meet consumer demand for perfection. Each week Perfectly Imperfect Produce rescues fresh fruits and veggies from local suppliers, packs them up into a variety of box combinations and delivers them. For every box they sell they make donations to local food pantries. Now, in the Northeast Ohio market, you can try one of their boxes by ordering all fruit, all veggie or mixed fruit and veggie for delivery with your next Market Wagon order.
Tropical Pineapple Banana Muffins
Active time: 10 Min.
Total time: 30 Min.
Yield: 12 muffins
- 2 large overripe Perfectly Imperfect bananas
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups diced Perfectly Imperfect pineapple
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan liberally with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, combine the bananas, brown sugar, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla; blend until smooth. Add the pineapple and pulse 10 times, or until pineapple is finely chopped but not pureed (you want some texture); set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined (do not over mix). Fold in the pecans and coconut.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin pan (they will be nearly full). Sprinkle each with extra flaked coconut if you like.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then adjust oven temperature to 375 degrees (without opening the door) and continue to bake for 11 to 13 minutes more, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Total bake time will be about 16 to 18 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Enjoy warm or cool completely on a wire rack before storing. Keep in an air-tight container for 2 days, then transfer any leftovers to the fridge. To help keep the muffins fresh, line the container with paper towels and loosely cover muffins with another paper towel before securing the lid.